Show Posts - john85_islington

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - john85_islington

Pages: [1]
Deposit Problems / Re: £700 for professional cleaning!!!!!
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi Nat,

How long ago did you move out?  Did your landlord register your deposit in a Deposit protection scheme?  This is really important information since it will determine how to proceed in trying ot get the money back.


Agency Fees / Re: Reference Check fee-I'm being robbed
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »
Hi David,

I'm not saying that you should do this but have you thought about threatening them with a Subject Access Request?

I did it a couple of years ago and told the agency politely that I could get an SAR for £10.  It'd take them quite a while to comply so they backed down and waived the reference check fee.  They did add though some face-saving line about "It's harder than it looks hence we need to rob you" 

Just a thought. 


Agency Fees / Re: Agency Fees
« on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
Just be careful, if you get found out there might be problems later.

Agency Fees / Re: No Fees?
« on: July 06, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
I know this sounds a little stupid but what about Gumtree? 

Housing Repairs / Re: Carpet replacement
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »
Hi katya,

I'd take photos of as many things as you can. Did you take photos when you moved in?  The best thing to do is to raise a dispute as soon as you move out with the dispute resolution service of the deposit protection scheme you used. 

Was the deposit put in a scheme?  You should have had notice within 30 days of you moving in.  You should be quick though to do it because the arbitration/mediation sevice is only available for 3 months after you move out.  After that you'd have to go through the small claims process. 

Let me know if you need any more advice.


General Discussion / Re: New rental agreement
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »
It usually depends on whether you have a problem.  Most contracts nowadays are templates with name and addresses changed.  A lot of people simply accept contracts as they're written not understanding that they have clearly defined rights according to varying Acts of Parliament.  If I were you I'd just read the contract, specifically parts that relate to repairs and notification of tenancy termination and see that the contract isn't set up for you to have to deal with major maintenance issues.  In most cases anything structural or anything to do with electrics, water gas sewerage is your landlord's responsibility.

Agency Fees / Re: No Fees?
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
Hi Sara,

There was a campaign I heard about in Brighton which looked at this.  It was run as a Labour party political organization and they performed regular inspections of letting agents in their area to see whether they complied with national legislation such as openly displaying a list of their fees including any VAT associated with them.  I haven't heard of them for a while but they definitely were around.  I think the NRA do have a list of letting agents and their fees, you'd have to ask them. 

just a general question, does anyone know the name of that organization in Brighton of it they're still around?


General Discussion / Re: moved house
« on: June 12, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »

A lot of the time it depends on how soon you challenge.  It's sometimes easier with a letting agent if they're members of a letting agents scheme like NALA.  If your landlord or agent protected the deposit in one of the guarantee schemes you have three months after the moving date to file a dispute with them.  If it's any later or if the landlord never bothered with one of the schemes (naughty naughty) you'll probably have to go through the small claims court.  All depends really.  could you share any more info?

Pages: [1]