No Fees?

Sara West on June 14, 2016, 11:03:26 AM
Hey, I'm probably going to be moving to Bristol in the about 4 months and wanted to find out if anybody knows of landlords who don't charge signing fees?  Agents always will because they want to get the most money out of you.  I've heard of that thing Open Rent but just wondered if the landlords there are just as bad as the agents?  Thanks in advance.

Sara

john85_islington on June 14, 2016, 06:00:27 PM
Hi Sara,

There was a campaign I heard about in Brighton which looked at this.  It was run as a Labour party political organization and they performed regular inspections of letting agents in their area to see whether they complied with national legislation such as openly displaying a list of their fees including any VAT associated with them.  I haven't heard of them for a while but they definitely were around.  I think the NRA do have a list of letting agents and their fees, you'd have to ask them. 

just a general question, does anyone know the name of that organization in Brighton of it they're still around?

John

Ally on June 15, 2016, 04:59:44 PM
Hey,

They were called Home Sweet Home and they were backed by the MP for Hove Peter Kyle.  They were part of a larger group called Movement for Change and they produced a good information pack for tenants and they undertook regular inspections of letting agencies in the Brighton and Hove area to see whether they complied with regulations about displaying their fees. 

I haven't heard about them in a little while, I also think that they had some input into trying to ban revenge evictions.  I'm from Brighton originally and would help out with that sort of project if they're still operational.

A

Rave_on on June 22, 2016, 09:40:01 PM
Home Sweet home in Brighton did some good work and reported some landlords and agents to the authorities a couple of years ago. 

Generation Rent published a fee survey a few weeks go of verge letting gent fees around England if this is of any use.  alternatively you could try Open rent which cuts out letting agents.

Rave on!

john85_islington on July 06, 2016, 03:33:59 PM
I know this sounds a little stupid but what about Gumtree?