Landlord spying on me

Alex on June 16, 2016, 04:57:37 PM
Hi

I've been living in a new flat in London for a couple of months now.  The place has no letting agent which I prefer and the landlord was really nice at first.  Last week though I had some friends over for a dinner party (just some fellow Aussies and some red wine and home cooked beef bouginion) and I though nothing of it, no rave and ket party until 5 am! 

Anyway the following day the landlord knocked on the door and asked how many friends I had over the previous night because in the contract only my boyfriend and I were allowed to stay and any guests had to pay £10 per head to the landlord for each day they stayed. I told him that my boyfriend would be back soon but I gave him £40 on the spot to get rid of him.  I checked the contract and he's right, it does say that I owe him £10 for each visitor.  I heard from somebody else who lives in the apartment building that he's really good friends with my neighbour and the neighbour gets a kickback for letting him know if anybody visits and that he did the same to the people who used to live there. 

I feel really bad and I don't know what to do, what are my options or do I just have to take it?

A

Becky on July 01, 2016, 09:29:01 PM
Hey Alex,

That sounds awful?  Did you pay him?  I think that its harassment plain and simple.  You should tell him to respect your privacy or you will report him to the council and the police.  If they think you're a push over they'll just keep doing it to you.   

B