moved house

tempest12 on June 08, 2016, 09:17:38 PM
Hi Nra

I'm wondering if you can help me.
I recently moved house in London due to an unexpected family increase.

My old landlord was fantastic at the time, I had no issues was never late or missed a payment. When I gave my notice that I wanted to move on the 6th of this month.
They demanded that I pay for the whole month, it was something to do with the contract, change to some recurring tenancy agreement. I was living there for 4 years.

my old rent was 1800 a month and moving to a bigger place meant I was short of money especially with the stupid deposits you have to pay in Islington!!
Me and my partner put our belongings at my parents house (all the way in hemel!!) and stayed there. Luckily I had the option to do this.

I gave 7 weeks notice, cleaned the flat and took pictures it was perfect. The landlord came over took the notes and was happy.

So I thought

we only got £879 of our £2250 deposit!!
They took it for cleaning and redecorating. I have pictures of the property there was no issues.

I have no idea what to do to recover this money can you help?!

stephen_R_1984 on June 09, 2016, 10:36:49 PM

This happened to me too about a year ago and I think my current landlord is trying it on again.  There are ways of getting the money back, do you still have a copy of the tenancy agreement and how long ago was it exactly.  You could use a Deposit guarantee mediation scheme if your deposit was protected and it happened less than three months ago.  If you have to go via small claims you have 6 years (for England and Wales which obviously it was!)  what action you take really depends on the circumstances. 


stephen_R_1984 on June 09, 2016, 10:37:17 PM
Forgot to add, did the landlord use an agency?

john85_islington on June 12, 2016, 01:38:00 PM

A lot of the time it depends on how soon you challenge.  It's sometimes easier with a letting agent if they're members of a letting agents scheme like NALA.  If your landlord or agent protected the deposit in one of the guarantee schemes you have three months after the moving date to file a dispute with them.  If it's any later or if the landlord never bothered with one of the schemes (naughty naughty) you'll probably have to go through the small claims court.  All depends really.  could you share any more info?

xxxmod on June 12, 2018, 10:23:06 PM
Hwo much money should you allocate for, let's say, mediation? There is a possiblity that landlord will not want to take part in them, isn't there?

Well, cleaning thing is bullshit - you can always have an apartment cleaned by a professional and as a landlord it's never a loss for you, and since one can take as much money from deposit, as he or she pleases, then well..
if you trying to get an app up and running, having an automatic image moderation tool is def. gon' be useful, check mine out here: