Repairs

Jack Robb on June 12, 2016, 11:07:08 AM
Hi

I was wondering what I should do about my letting agent who is trying to charge me to have the gutters in the roof cleaned out.  They're trying to charge me £400 and possibly more since they say that the roof might need some more work.  According to the contract I signed it said that I had taken on a "full insuring and maintenance lease" and that the 1984 Landlord and Tenants Act didn't apply.  I'd really appreciate it if anybody could give me some advice. 

Jack

NRA_ceb_2016_577 on June 13, 2016, 10:53:09 AM
Hi Jack,

There is quite a lot of legislation relating to the mutual obligations of Landlords and Tenant, most of which clearly stipulates the types of repairing obligations which fall to the landlord and tenant respectively.  Although it is not possible (or rather practical) to list ever repairing contingency which the landlord is responsible for in the legislation, the problem you described seems to fit well with exterior drainage which in all likelihood is your landlord's responsibility.  The National Renters Alliance regularly assists clients with repair matters and it is quite common for us to find clauses inserted into the shorthold assured tenancy agreement which attempt to shift repair obligations to the tenant. Typically these clauses are null and void and do not stand up to scrutiny if the dispute goes legal. 

If you would like us to look at your case in more detail please get in touch with us directly either by telephone or by email at contact@nralliance.co.uk

Kind regards,
NRA